Mike joined Clawson & Staubes in 2014. He is now a partner with the firm’s litigation team, focusing in the area of construction litigation. He was admitted to practice in the State of South Carolina and the U. S. District Court, District of South Carolina in 2012. Mike's practice is primarily focused on construction defect litigation and insurance coverage. He also handles personal injury cases and has experience in medical malpractice, products liability, and premises liability.
Mike graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology and Psychology in 2005. He graduated summa cum laude from the Charleston School of Law in 2012 and received his Juris Doctor. While in law school, Mike was Senior Research Editor for the Charleston Law Review. He received CALI awards in Construction Law, Criminal Law, Professional Responsibility, and Securities Regulation. He was honored with membership in the James L. Petigru American Inn of Courts and was president of the Business Law Society.
Prior to attending law school, Mike worked in the construction industry both for a large construction materials supplier and as an estimator for a commercial contracting company. His background working in the construction industry for nearly 5 years provides him with the knowledge and insight necessary to handle complex construction defect claims.
Mike resides in Charleston with his wife, daughters, and Goldendoodle. In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his family, deep sea fishing with friends, and watching his favorite sports teams.
- Defamation, Libel and Slander
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
- Motor Vehicle Liability
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- South Carolina, 2012
- U. S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 2012
Honors & Awards
- CALI Awards (highest overall grade): Construction Law, Criminal Law, Professional Responsibility, and Securities Regulation
- Charleston Law Review, Senior Research Editor
- Super Lawyer, 2019-2020
- American Bar Association
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- James L. Petigru American Inn of Courts
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association - Young Lawyers
- Regional representative for the Charleston region
Published Articles, CLEs, and Seminars
- Maritime Law: Reexamining the Definition of a “Vessel” Under the Lozman Reasonable Observer Test, IADC Committee Newsletter, July 2014
- Additional Insured Endorsements Panel, Bankers 2016 Litigation Conference